It’s incredibly important to take the time and energy to take care of yourself in order to be able to show up and take care of the others in your life. It’s not healthy to give away what you haven’t first given to yourself. I have a lot of people that rely on me to be there for them so I try and prioritize being there for myself equally. Here are my best strategies:
- Exercise: Taking a Dailey Method class is my favorite “me hour” but I make sure I do some form of exercise several times per week. The mind body connection always helps take me to a calmer, more capable place. I don’t always have the time to get into a class (which I know sounds crazy, since I own 4 Studios) but then I’ll take the dog out for a quick hike or do a streaming video at home. When I’m traveling and there isn’t a Dailey Method Studio, I make sure to preregister for classes that are near where I’m staying. That can be self-care and inspiration all in one!
- Therapy: Exercise is a form of therapy but I also need the traditional type. I try to visit my amazing therapist a least a few times a month and always feel stronger, more capable and more connected afterwards. Amen to that! I can’t stress enough the importance of having someone regularly help me with my emotional well being.
- Bodywork or massage: I have several people I like to have work on me from traditional massage therapists, to cranial sacral work, fascial release or chiropractors. I probably do a session a month and pick my practitioner based on what my body seems to need the most at the time. Even just getting a manicure or pedicure can count as me time. Just put the phone down and sit back and relax and breath while you’re doing it.
- Sleep: Sleep is one of the most important things for self care. I have a pretty strict rule with myself that electronics are off at 7PM. It allows me to fall asleep more easily and get a better quality of sleep. I also try to go to bed as soon as possible after the kids go down. This way I am able to wake up 30 minutes earlier than I normally would and can get through the texts and emails that I wasn’t able to get to the night before. It allows me to start my day feeling like I’ve already cleaned out my inbox. Lovely!
- Time Saving Strategies: Meal planning is my “go to”. Spending a little time over the weekend to plan my meals for the week and do the shopping is one of the best ways I can set myself up to take care of myself and my family for the next 7 days. It’s an amazing time and money saver and allows us to eat more healthfully.
- Quality time with Friends and Family: This is incredibly important for self care. It’s a great way to fill ourselves up and have special moments in the day with someone that you love. A lunch date with a friend, planning a quick trip with a loved one and special individual time with one of your children.
#justthewayyouare – better now, for loving and taking care of yourself.
— Jill Dailey